Sunday, January 31, 2016

Miami Night Life Chapter 10

     Miami Night Life    Chapter 10
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Miami was going to be fun. I had the topside watch the first day  in Port Everglade. That afternoon, the boat was along side the old Queen Mary. This wasn't a military dock. The tourists were interested in the nuclear submarine as they passed. The public dock was full of civilians touring the ship next to us. That made for a great afternoon duty. I was fielding questions from the crowds. Then the day got better. The captain arriving in a new red Cadillac convertible with three young blondes. They we're all laughing, definitely got my attention. I reported to the duty officer on the public address. "Skipjack arriving, Skipjack arriving," the duty officer was up on the bridge in an instant. We both salute the captain and his three guests as they board the submarine. The captain saying, well yes! this is my boat. I think that memory has been locked within me forever. The captain at thirty eight years old was just way to cool. I don't think this was a prayer group with him. The captain was a single guy after all.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      I had liberty the next day, we all had to wear our dress white uniforms on the beach.  Something was said, about us being good ambassadors in this seaport. Yeah, right! a bunch of horny guys cruising paradise.  The white sand beach covered with ladies in small bikini's. Just saying, the beach and women made my time here pass way to quickly. The club scene was way different than in Norfolk and expensive. That evening winds up at the "Four O'clock Club" the last place still open. The Skipjack crew found it, must be a sixth sense. This sailor was feeling no pain. The Vo' was flowing that night.  This nightclub was dark and smoke filled. The bar wrapped around the whole inside back wall. The music was kind 'a trashy and the place was rocking. The dance floor was packed. The noise and laughter, the loud music, it was heaven. I'm in my element and living in the moment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The women were gorgeous and dress to kill, smiling like a Cheshire Cat, life was good. I spot this knockout sitting by herself. She was at a small table in the corner. This was arousing my curiosity, the eye contact from across the room, that was good. I ask my shipmates if they have seen anyone with her. Everybody shrugged and said no.  That was my cue, watch my smoke guys. I made my move and she and I hit the dance floor. My quick footwork and a twirl, sent her out and back to me, a slow song is playing. This was way cool and I was smooth and confident. Then the lights came up. The next song more alive and upbeat. The curvy blonde was beautiful. The guys at the bar were all staring at us. We cut around the floor with ease. I held her tight and looked into her eyes, then it happened. The gaze had moved down. I noticed a beard stubble on my new girl. That made me weak in the knees and not in a good way. This sailor  had a problem, if I outed my dance partner that might mean trouble. Everyone would notice, especially my buddies. I had to finish this dance. The long walk back to the table was tense. The room is now hushed. I thank her and head back to the bar. My crew, smirks were on their lips and it turned into a roar. They all knew before I walked in. That one was a girly man. Life was a tad uncomfortable for awhile after that... damn. The cool kid was not the same for a long time. Thank the gods it was over before something more personal had happened. I fled that scene.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Back to the boat, Miami was not for me. The nightlife in Norfolk at least, I knew the rules. The white sand beaches and the warm night air had its allure. Who knows what the future holds down the road. The next day, the Skipjack is back to sea with me having a new nickname, man killer.

No comments: